Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Crown Corning Thermique Coffee Carafe - White



i just wanted to tell somebody about this coffee carafe. i can't find a web site for the company that made this product - they appear to have been broken up and re-acquired and changed names many times since this product was purchased in the mid-1990's - and i'm sure this particular design has been long discontinued.

but as you may know i am an insane high-end specialty or "gourmet" coffee fanatic, French press method all the way, preferably small batch roasted that week. i almost always throw coffee away if it's sat unconsumed for more than a few hours.

yesterday i brewed a press pot of Trader Joe's Dark Roast Sumatra - not a bad product for the price if you can't get something better and you're on a budget - and i immediately decanted it into my thermique. i had time to drink one cup before i had to be off on business about town, and forgot that i had coffee left over.

this morning, on a whim, i poured off a cup of that same coffee. it had remained hot enough to steam for 24 hours, and it still tasted palatable, if not quite just-brewed fresh. it was drinkable. and that, my friends, is what might be called a fookin' miracle.

if you find one of these on eBay or at a garage sale - buy it. it works.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree. My mom bought me a Crown Corning Thermique carafe for Christmas in about 1984. It's the only thermos that actually keeps hot beverages hot for hours, even as long as 24 hours. I'm online trying to buy another one as mine is looking pretty sad after nearly 30 years. Alas, I cannot find one either. But if I do, I'll buy it.

Anonymous said...

I just found a beautful chic cream one at the Salvation Army thrift store for $2! Looks near new and it works a treat. Would definitely recommend them to others.

Anonymous said...

My husband gave me a Crown Corning Thermique in 1968. We have used it every day of our married life--46 years now! It is amazing, and I concur with the fact that you can drink hot coffee from the thermos a day later!